Exercise is defined as any movement that makes your muscles work and requires your body to burn calories.There are many types of physical activity, including swimming, running, jogging, walking and dancing, to name a few.
Being active has been shown to have many health benefits, both physically and mentally. It may even help you live longer
Here are the top 8 ways regular exercise benefits your body and brain.
- It Can Make You Feel Happier. Exercise has been shown to improve your mood and decrease feelings of depression, anxiety and stress.
- It produces changes in the parts of the brain that regulate stress and anxiety. It can also increase brain sensitivity for the hormones serotonin and norepinephrine, which relieve feelings of depression .
- Additionally, exercise can increase the production of endorphins, which are known to help produce positive feelings and reduce the perception of pain .
- Furthermore, exercise has been shown to reduce symptoms in people suffering from anxiety. It can also help them be more aware of their mental state and practice distraction from their fears .
- Interestingly, it doesn’t matter how intense your workout is. It seems that your mood can benefit from exercise no matter the intensity of the physical activity.
- In fact, a study in 24 women who had been diagnosed with depression showed that exercise of any intensity significantly decreased feelings of depression .
- The effects of exercise on mood are so powerful that choosing to exercise (or not) even makes a difference over short periods.
- One study asked 26 healthy men and women who normally exercised regularly to either continue exercising or stop exercising for two weeks. Those who stopped exercising experienced increases in negative mood.